Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: dv cameras

  1. #1
    Inactive Member ghillbilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2001
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Just wondering which cameras everyone is using for their projects. I'm currently looking at getting either an canon Xl1 or a Sony vx2000, has anyone used/ got either of these?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member redlum's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2002
    Posts
    203
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Also take a look at the XM-1. Remeber the Xl-1 doesn't shoot true widescreen so it might be worthwhile getting the xm-1 and $300/$400 anamorphic adapter - thats what the bbc use for digital broadcast (perhaps not such a good example). You could by a wide angle lens for the xl-1 but they are very expensive as far as I know.
    Cameras are such a ***** .

  3. #3
    Inactive Member ghillbilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2001
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Whoops forgot about the XM1. Your right it's such a ***** to choose a camera, from what I've read on a few sites+ magazines the XM1 is actually better overall than the XL1. Could someone back me up on that or tell me different from your own experiences? Also has anyone used the Sony DSR PD150? This camera is closer to the 3 grand mark and I was wondering if it's really as good as it's price would suggest?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    if I was gonna get a cam today I'd probably opt for the Sony PD-150

    http://www.saferseas.com/vsd/eye/eye.html
    for example

  5. #5
    Inactive Member ghillbilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 2001
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the link miker, have to say it looks like a really good camera

  6. #6
    Inactive Member SoulJacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 30th, 2001
    Posts
    612
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My Panasonic Hi8 kicks some serious arse!!!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Vertino's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 1999
    Posts
    388
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    We used the Canon XM1 for our shoot last weekend... its pretty **** good...

    but then again, I've only just moved to digital film-making... couldn't really carry on making VHS-Compact anymore!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    1,009
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey there.

    I've used the Xm-1, the Xl-1 and the Sony VX2000. All great cameras, but I'd probably still go with the Xl-1 in terms of quality, but considering the cash involved I'd go with the xm-1.

    Genny Skin out.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 29, 2002 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Generic Skinhead ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Jim Bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 2001
    Posts
    108
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    I have a XM-1 and I'm happy with what I've got for the money.

    I was shooting the Motor Bikes (TT)at the Isle of Man last week with it and I'm very please with the footage.

    Jim Bird

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Jon Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 1999
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In reply to ghillbilly's question, the PD150 really is as good as the the price suggests. I have used the XL1 many times, XM1, VX2000 and the 150 (I was using one just yesterday), and the 150 is far superior as a pro camera. One of it's most useful features is it's 2 XLR mic inputs with switchable 48 volts phantom power so you can use proper mikes like the Senheisser 416 or MKH 60 and you can record on DVCAM, which holds a more stable than miniDV. There isn't a great deal of difference in price for the VX2000 and the PD150, but the 2000 just isn't as good and certainly not worth the money it sells for. In fact, I don't know any cameramen who uses a VX2000 professionally, whereas plenty own the PD150.

    The XL-1 was an impressive piece of kit back in '98, and still commands a high price new, also with a huge array of aftermarket accessories to adapt it for professional use, but everybody I know who has used for work, has had tape transport problems. I have heard the XL-1 been called the "Cindy Doll" of DV cameras as it's very pretty, but not up to really hard work.

    I still use the VX1000 with a Beachtec box, and they really are the "Sherman tanks" of DV cameras.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •